Friday, March 17, 2006

Back to the beginnings...


I've been playing a bit more piano lately... it's something I haven't done in a long time. The original impetus of it was to better accompany some of my younger flute students so that they get a better sense of rhythm and harmony from the accompaniment.

It's turned into something more.

Mostly, it's a revisitation to my musical roots, to my first instrument. I've been playing some stuff from my very old piano books, now yellowing and fraying at the edges. Memories ebb and flow as oddly familiar tunes emanate from the 25 year old piano in my studio. Yet I'm seeing and hearing the old books in a new light, things I couldn't possibly have perceived when I was very young. It's amazing how fun it is when you can actually read music.

It's a new source of relaxation... it's an option, and it's how it always was meant to be for me.

No comments: